About me

He is half-Japanese, and I am...Not. So this is me trying to learn how to make sushi and eat it too. Or sometimes, just eating all the rice and smiling between every bite.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

One Big Hole

I'm not a very crafty person. In Home Economics in middle school I tried to make a pair of polka dot pajama shorts and ended up cutting a big hole right under the bum. I also got docked points for using blue thread. In my defense though, I thought it matched. My mom ended up helping me fix the hole, and I still wear those polka dot shorts because I made them. However, that is my crafting life, one big hole under the bum.

This summer, Dallin's mom and sisters asked me to help throw a bridal shower for a cousin on the Fukui side of the family. Not just any bridal shower, but a bridal shower with Japanese themed decorations. "Cherry blossoms and kokeshi dolls," they said.

"I don't know what that all means," I said. "So we will see how this goes."

In order to get my craft on, I had to visit the Holy Grail of all that is good and evil in a world of glitter and hot glue guns: Pinterest.

And as luck would have it, I stumbled across this little gem.

I tried to make my own, with a few modifications. A spool for the body, beads for the buns, paper wrapped around the spool for clothing, and a ribbon for that extra flair.


Her head turned out to be too small, one side of her face is smudged, and I accidentally gave her weird cheekbones. Whoops. 

However, a trip to Hobby Lobby, some origami paper, a spoonful of painting talent by Dallin's mom, and lots of hot glue later, between the four of us, we were able to make these:





Not too shabby if I do say so myself!

Handling the hot glue gun might have cost me a few fingerprints, but this experience just might have put a few stitches in my big hole under the bum crafty life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment