About me

He is half-Japanese, and I am...Not. So this is me trying to learn how to make sushi and eat it too. Or sometimes, just eating all the rice and smiling between every bite.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Literally Living on Love

Dallin and I are about as well traveled as a piece of gum under somebody's shoe. Between the two of us, we have traveled a ways, but we have been stuck in the same spot for some time. We would like to be less like a piece of gum, and more like... Well, less like a piece of gum.

In the next year, Dallin's family is planning a BIG family trip to Japan to pick up Dallin's little brother, who is serving his LDS mission in Kobe. 

JAPAN!

Dallin and I have never even been out of the country! Being able to go to Japan, see Elder Fukui after two long years, and be able to tourist about for a few days would be an amazing opportunity!

But. Going to Japan is no small feat for two broke college students. It's important though, so we are trying to hustle to stash some cash so that we can go with Dallin's family.

In order to help with this, I've decided that I'm going to start doing meal plans. Planning out our meals in advance and having a shopping list will probably help with our Japan Fund. Right? I even started searching out menu plans and shopping lists. So far I have found a lot of recipes that require a lot of time, effort and ingredients.

Oh heavens.



Fresh rosemary and cilantro? Homemade dough? Spinach inside the chicken?

How about biscuits from a can and gravy from a package?

I'm not a great cook. I made French toast for dinner yesterday, burned it, and then smelled like the inside of a toaster for the rest of the night. And with school in session, time is short. I haven't even had time to go to the grocery store since the semester started. Five weeks ago.

We are literally living on love.

However! I may have found a meal planning solution.


And on weekends, we will have cereal!

I know that THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA. We would blow up like balloons from the amount of salt in every package, and then we would die of malnourishment.

So what do I do?
Everyone is busy, so how do you still find time to make real meals?
What do you make and how do you find ideas for new recipes?

Leave a comment below and share your ideas!


9 comments:

  1. I use some awesome 30 minute meals from Mel's kitchen. She is amazing, the food is incredible, and it doesn't take too long. Also remember making yummy sandwiches like paninis with a quick vegetable is delicious and super fast. I can show you some things on Pinterest. Also crockpot recipes are the bomb. They don't take too long to throw together, you leave and come back and they're done. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out Mel's Kitchen. If it's quick and easy, I can probably handle it. You should send me some of your recipes that you use on Pinterest, since they have that new app that lets you send messages. I would really appreciate it!

      Also, hope you and Nathan are doing good!

      Delete
  2. One other thing you could try is doing freezer meals. Spend one day and put all the ingredients together and freeze it so you can eat them later! Makes the one day really long but the next days afterwards are nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you find your recipes for freezer meals?

      Delete
  3. Awesome! Those sound great! Pinterest can be risky, but if you've tried them, I think I should give them a shot!

    I miss seeing you guys too. Maybe next week or so? If you guys aren't too swamped with school and life?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some more gourmet soups from Campbell's like "Tai Chicken Curry" or "Roasted Red Pepper and Smoked Gouda" that Shelby and I make and add a packet of ramen noodles to it.

    We also make a lot of cheap Mexican food meals. Bean burritos, nachos, etc.

    We also make pizza rolls with Pillsberry croissant rolls, tomato sauce, cheese, and whatever else on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gourmet soups and Ramen eh? I could probably handle that. What do you usually put in your bean burritos?

      Delete
  5. I eat apples, milk, and PB&J :) so there is an idea for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect. Healthy and easy. Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete