About me

He is half-Japanese, and I am...Not. So this is me trying to learn how to make sushi and eat it too. Or sometimes, just eating all the rice and smiling between every bite.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Neverending Project Story

When Dallin moved to Texas with all of our worldly possessions, we had a bed and a kitchen table. Enough to support the basic necessities of life: To eat and to sleep. Eventually he invested in a TV and a couch, as these provide the necessities of the bachelor lifestyle: To watch TV and fall asleep on the couch.

And we have continued to live this way. Even after I got here.

I'm not complaining, but something about the TV's placement on the floor screams.... 

"DIRT POOR NEWBS WHO MOVED TOO FAR FROM THE DI"


Oh, the truth and accompanying shame.

To improve our situation, I started shopping around at the local estate sales. For those of you who don't know what an estate sale is, imagine walking through a stranger's home after they have passed away or moved. Not only have all of their knick-knacks been put up for sale, but also the pictures on the walls, the clothes in the closet, and just about anything you can find as you meander through the house. It's a different experience, but the deals can be incredible! 

That's how I found this little beauty,


And how The Neverending Project began. 

It was supposed to be simple. Strip it, sand it, repaint it, line the drawer, and change out the hardware.  Easy peezy, lemon squeezey.

But I got high on that Home Depot fix and convinced myself that I could do more. So I bought 5 more pieces of furniture at another estate sale. Dallin was supportive, but he told me that this was my baby, and that he would not take participate in the renovation. 

Pinterest was also supportive. She provided loads of ideas and DIYs. She also assured me that the hardest part would be "waiting for the paint to dry." 

Well, it's officially been months and I only have two finished pieces to show for my hours of hard work and sweat in this deadly Texas heat. My garage still smells like paint and there is a thin layer of sawdust covering the array of dresser drawers and my car.

Worst of all, Pinterest LIED to me! Waiting for the paint to dry was the easiest part because while waiting, I could wash the paint out of the brushes, my hair, off my skin and clothes, and all in the comfort of an air-conditioned home! 

If I ever finish these neverending projects, I'll let you know. 

Until then,


Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment